Last week, R discussed tips for packing travel toiletries. This week, I have an easy DIY project that makes packing lotion a little easier. My travel lotion bars are easy to make and come together pretty quickly. I made my last batch the night before a trip! Other benefits include:
- The ability to make your travel lotion bars any size you would like, which is ideal for travel.
- An all-natural product with no hidden chemicals and minimal ingredients (just four in fact).
- No liquid! Breeze through TSA and never experience an exploding bottle again.
- Get the exact smell you want. Floral, mint, herbal or a mix—you choose!
- Travel lotion bars make a great gifts for your fellow travelers or the traveler in your life.
Have I convinced you yet? Below is the simple recipe I use.
Travel Lotion Bars
- Equal parts (e.g. 2 tablespoons) coconut oil, shea butter and beeswax (I use the little beads for easier melting)
- 8-10 drops of your favorite essential oil(s)
- Fill a sauce pan with a couple inches of water. Place a glass jar in the center of the water and turn the heat to medium.
- While the water is heating, add all ingredients to the glass jar and stir.
- Once the ingredients are melted, poor into a mold (I have used plastic containers, a silicone muffin tin and ice cube trays).
- Allow to cool. You can put the mold in the fridge to cool faster.
- Store in a travel container (e.g. tin, plastic or metal) and take on all your trips!
- To use, simply rub between your hands to melt the ingredients a little and then rub your hands wherever you need lotion.
These bars will remain hard in colder climates/seasons and get pretty soft in hot climates/seasons. Make sure you have a good container for the different climates and seasons you find yourself traveling in. Hence, if it is super hot where you are going, make sure you have an air tight container for your DIY travel lotion bars.
Do you enjoy a good DIY project? I do! When I can combine that with travel, life is good indeed. Check out our Recipes + DIY page for other DIY projects…and recipes of course!
B, I LOVE everything about this idea! It’s easy, fun, personalized, and best of all, ALL natural ingredients. Yess! I’m hitting up the Co-op tomorrow after work to get beeswax and I’m gonna make myself some lotion bars. Brilliant!
Yes! Do! And let me know how it turns out.
Pingback:Solid travel toiletries last longer than liquid travel toiletries...mostly